Welcome to the official Great Maplestead Parish Council website
Great Maplestead is located in North Essex, close to the Suffolk border, and has around 360 residents
- In 2016 the Village won its Class (for communities of fewer than 400 inhabitants) in the Essex Village of the Year competition, promoted by the Rural Community Council of Essex
- The Parish Council is the first tier of local goverment.
- In Great Maplestead there are 7 Parish Councillors, who are elected every 4 years.
- If you wish to contact a member of the Parish Council, you will find details on the Parish Councillor information page. Alternatively you should contact the Parish Clerk
- This website provides full details about Great Maplestead Parish Council and also has information on the various village organisations and their activities.
If you require any information, in the first instance please contact the Parish Clerk.
The links on the left can be used to navigate/select and view the information on the website.
For Important Announcements, and useful Emergency Numbers, go to PUBLIC INFORMATION
Sunday 2nd July: Boules - on the Playing Field. Enjoy an alfresco afternoon with a French flavour. Start: 2.00pm/Cost: £2 per player. Bring your own picnic and chairs. There will be ice-cream on sale!
Saturday 15th July: Great Maplestead's Wedding of the Year - in St Giles' Church. Jan & Bill are getting married! If you would like to mark the celebration with them, come to the Church for the Service at 11.30am or for drinks at 12.15pm(ish).
Local Plan Consultation
The latest Draft of the Local Plan Document for North Essex was issued on 16th June for further Public Consultation - see here for more details. Exhibitions to support this Public Consultation, which closes at 5.00pm on 28th July, are being mounted at a number of venues across Essex.
Great Maplestead Parish Council has 3 noticeboards displaying Council Information located at:
1. St Giles Church, Church St - located on the verge to the left hand side of the gates
2. Toldishall, Toldishall Rd - located on verge of T-junction with Lucking Street
3. Dynes Hall Rd - located on south side of the verge, 300m east of the junction with Purls Hill
The Council regularly submits information/news/updates to the monthly Parish News Magazine (circulated to the Parishs of Great & Little Maplestead, Gestingthorpe & Pebmarsh).
Between Council meetings a regular e-newsletter, the Maplestead Magna Carta, is also produced, featuring news of interest and importance to the Parish and making the Council's business more transparent and accountable.
There are three Post Boxes in the village, located at:
1. Church St - half-way down next to the telephone box.
Latest Collections: Mon-Fri 5.30pm; Sat 10.00am
2. Toldishall Rd - at the T-junction with Lucking St.
Latest Collections: Mon-Fri 9.00am; Sat 7.00am
3. Purls Hill - at the junction with Dynes Hall Rd
Latest Collections: Mon-Fri 5.15pm; Sat 9.30am
For free advice and help to access Services & Information, including MOBILITY ISSUES, HEALTHY LIVING, BENEFITS, CARE SUPPORT and PENSIONS
Please contact our COMMUNITY AGENT: Jayne Laken
Tel: 07540 720 607 or 01376 574 341 or e-mail: email@example.com
Local Police can be contacted for non-emergency issues on 101
Your Neighourhood Constable - Nicky Smith PC 70733 - can be contacted at
Halstead Police Station: Tel: 101, Extension 407 102 or call: 07855 781 608
Highways Problem? - Report a highways problem direct
Help us.. to help you.
Using the above link you can report a pothole to Essex Highways or ask them about a previously reported problem, using the unique reference number that they will have given you.
Please note you can only report one problem at a time, for which you will be given a unique reference number. For example, if you are reporting two potholes in your road these will need to reported separately - you will then be given a unique reference number for each.
Essex Highways respond best to reports made using the link; the more parishioners who report a problem, the speedier the remedial action.
The views expressed throughout this site are not necessarily the views of members of Great Maplestead Parish Council.
Neither the webmaster, nor any other party involved in any way with this website, can be held responsible for any loss, cost, damage, inconvenience or expense caused through the use of this website or as a result of any inaccuracy or error contained within the website or any information or material displayed on or contained within it.